Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Slackware Rave's

It seems all anyone has to do is write an article about Slackware and everyone comes out of the woodwork. So, I figure I would add to the din.

Slackware is the oldest and largest community based Linux distribution around. It is usually on the top 10 on DistroWatch.
The latest version (v. 10) was released in June 2004.

I have been using Slackware 10 (on a Sager lap destroyer) since September and am pretty happy with it. Slackware is pretty stable (except for that phase that for some reason KDE decided to crash all the time - I don't use KDE anymore) and easy to use (although I frequently envy people who can just "YUM" or "Emerge" while I must trudge along with ./configure; make; make install). I guess the best part of Slackware is that it forces you to kind of know what is going on with your software. In the words of an anonymous colleague: "I don't know, I think that Gentoo is making me stupid." I also find the Slackware forums to be very helpful and can occasionally find what I need on Linux Packages.


So if you are interested in taking the Linux desktop/laptop plunge and want to learn something on the way, Slackware is not a bad choice.



No comments: